The look and feel of High-Density Polyethylene and PP are so similar that they may be difficult to tell apart.
- Inexpensive. HD-PE is a commodity plastic.
- Good ductility in subzero temperatures (HD-PE has a glass transition temperature of -120°C)
- Good chemical resistance, better than that of PP (e.g. petrol canisters are made of HD-PE)
- High impact resistance
Why not choose?
- Despite being semi-crystalline, HD-PE has limited resistance against stress cracking.
- PE is prone to hydrolysis while PP endures hot water better
- Poor UV-resistance
- Bottle caps
- Bins (preferably indoor)