Glass fiber is typically used with semi-crystalline materials. In some cases, amorphous PC is used as well.
Why choose it (over unreinforced PC)?
- Better thermal resistance.
- Better chemical resistance
- Better creep resistance
- Higher strength and modulus
Why not choose it?
- Impact strength (the most important property of PC) might be dramatically lower
- Adding glass will not improve the straightness (due to the uneven orientation of fibers, ) and shiny surface finish of PC.
- Risk of continuous load, fatigue and chemicals would suggest to rather choose one of the reinforced semi-crystalline materials.
- Electrical boxes
My experience with PC+GF is limited. I understand the benefits, but frankly, I don’t quite understand why it is used. If you have an answer, please comment.