HIPS is typically is produced by compounding PS with around 5-10% rubber or butadiene copolymer. As the name indicates, this makes the material significantly more impact resistant.
Why choose it?
- Inexpensive commodity plastic with good impact resistance
- Easy to process, good dimensional stability
- FDA approved
Why not choose it?
- Poor high-temperature resistance
- Fairly low strength and modulus (stiffness)
- Poor chemical resistance
- Prone to stress-cracking
- Poor UV-resistance, can not be recommended for outdoor use.
- Computer and keyboard housings